My own world

One day all our dreams will come true ..

Thursday 21 May 2009

Please Dad...


As soft winds sweep away the days


I look back on life through a haze.


Remember playgrounds, parks and friends,


In childlike gaze that never ends.


The laughter in a game of catch,


Shall memory ever attach...


To innocence in youthful eyes,


Catching the ball to Dad's surprise.




I recall my first bike, first wreck,


Who picked me up, said, "What the heck?


"Convinced me to give one more try,


While, knees skinned, I forgot to cry.


Just the joy knowing he was there,


Making him proud my only care.


There was nothing I couldn't do,


My heart held fast that to be true.




Though teenage years were kind of rough,


I sure wasn't too big or tough.


You taught me to defend what's right


And never back down from a fight.


So I learned the hard way to stand,


Still, with each lump, I found your hand.


Drawing from you an inner strength,


And stubborn pride of equal length.




But there the line of fate was drawn,


As though I blinked and you were gone.


I found myself facing the sun,


Not man, not boy, fatherless, one.


Eyes blinded by a void inside,


I could not live that you had died.


Alas finding it to be true,


I could do nothing without you.




Please, Dad, today just hear my call,


I'm sorry that I dropped the ball.


My life is wrecked, my knees are skinned,


My emotions undisciplined.


I can't get up although I try,


Please don't be upset if I cry.


Though I can't fight what I can't see,


Please, Dad, say you're still proud of me.






by Michael Anderson

0 comments: